Monday, August 31, 2009

Writing Routines of the Masters -- Jonathan Mayberry

Here is a snippet from my interview with Bram Stoker Award-Wining author, Jonathan Maberry. Jonathan is the author of one of my favorite trilogies -- Ghost Road Blues, Dead Man's Song and Bad Moon Rising. His newest novel, Patient Zero was just released. If you haven't read anything by him, visit your local bookstore today and pick him up, you won't regret it!


What is your writing routine like?

Jonathan: I write for a living so I log a lot of hours. Mostly I work from home, so I’m usually up early and at my computer by around 7:30 and I write until 5. I usually take a 5 to 10 minute break each hour to exercise (stretch, move, etc.), and that keeps my mind fresh and reduces stress on my neck and shoulders.

I set myself a daily minimum of 4000 words for whichever project is currently on deadline. That’s usually half of my workday. The other half I’m working on research, marketing, or working on projects for my clients -book editing, manuscript analysis, etc.

I also try to spend a little time each day on message boards and MySpace. Those are great for meeting readers, fellow writers, experts for my research, and so on.

The day goes fast.

If I’m really pressed for a deadline then the whole day will be built around that project.

My agent has sold eight books for me over the last two years, only one of which was actually written at the time of sale...so I have a pretty hefty schedule. I love it though. It’s a great life.

To read the complete interview, click here.

No comments: