Monday, August 31, 2009

Are You Comfortable?

Comfort. It's a word that we can sometimes take for granted, yet at the same time, it's something we're always striving for. Financial comfort, emotional comfort, physical comfort -- these are the three goals that each and every one of us strive for each and every day. But, is comfort really such a good thing?

As I'm writing this, I am enjoying a splendid cup of coffee. Now, usually, I take my coffee with just creamer or if I have it in the cupboard, I'll add some Truvia, a non-calorie sweetener. I prefer my coffee this way not because I like the way it tastes, even though it's not all that bad, but because I want to cut down on the amount of sugar I take in. Diabetes runs in my family and truth be told, I could lose a few pounds. Therefore, coffee sans sugar.

But, when I'm really in need of comfort, out comes the sugar. And believe me when I say that first sip is like mana from Heaven! The kicker is -- even though the coffee is outrageously delicious and comforting to me, behind the scenes it's not doing me any good.

This same rule can be applied to not only your daily life, but to your work as well. If there's one thing I've learned as a freelancer, one can never get "comfortable." The second you think you're free and clear and all's right with the world, that's the moment you need to pick up the pace and work harder. If you don't, more times than not, you'll pay the consequences.

In business, one can never be truly comfortable. You have to be waiting (and preparing) for the next shoe to drop. Your ears have to be up and primed in order to hear your competitor's approaching footsteps. You need to be ready to make your next move. When you're comfortable, these things fall by the wayside. After all, life is good, right? Yep, and that's what the comfortable antelope thought, right before his uncomfortable brothers and sisters bounced off and he became the lion's lunch.

So now is a good time to ask yourself -- am I comfortable?

If you are and you're happy about it, that's fine, but...wait a minute...did you hear that sound coming from the bushes?

No comments: