Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Short Story Review: The Mothman Isn't Real by Jason Thacker

The Mothman is one of the most mysterious cryptozoological creatures around. I mean, sure, there are hundreds of documentaries, movies, books and other media resources dedicated to the winged, red-eyed beast, but pretty much absolutely nothing is truly known about it. People can't even begin to speculate what it is. Unlike Bigfoot, Nessie and a few other heavy hitters, the Mothman is sort of a quiet, inconspicuous creature, not unlike Jersey's "Devil." No pictures exist of the Mothman, no video footage is ever caught, but one thing is certain - it scares the bejeezus out of anyone who crosses its path. And, it also happens to be one of my favorites.

So, you can imagine my delight when I get an email from author Jason Thacker to review his new short story, The Mothman Isn't Real. Before I started my journey into Pikeville, Kentucky (where the story takes place), I silently prayed for this variation of the Mothman mythos to feature a kick-ass, take no prisoner sort of Mothman.

I love it when prayers are answered.

Thacker's short story is a fast-moving, thrill-a-minute read that features a menacing, dangerously blood-thirsty Mothman. The characters in Thacker's short story are realistic and believable and that's oh so important, and even more so in a short story in my opinion. I blazed through this story and loved every minute of it. Full of action, suspense and mystery, The Mothman Isn't Real made for a fantastic early Saturday morning read. I highly recommend this fun and exciting story and give it ***** out of *****.

Pick up The Mothman Isn't Real for your Kindle at Amazon using the link below or visit Jason Thacker's page on Smashwords to get this story in another format.

No comments: